By Roxanne Reyes
Are you looking for a remedy to get rid of a cold? The common cold has begun and you need something to kick it fast. Looking for the right solution is right here for you. Most of these remedies are found at home or in your local grocery store. Here are some basic tips for your cold.
- To treat coughs get some honey. Have some herbal tea of your choice and add 1 teaspoon of honey to some hot tea to break up mucus in your chest and sinus area. This will soothe your throat and chest and loosen up and mucus that is left in there.
- Increase your vitamin C. For me I take a Emergen-c packet with one teaspoon of powder vitamin C. You can shorten your cold by taking at least 3,000 mcg of vitamin C, but be careful too much could cause diarrhea. Taking extra vitamins can increase your immune system and fight off bacteria.
- Take echinecia and goldenseal herbs to boost your immune system.
- Do a netty pot flush for sinus congestion. It’s available at most grocery and supplements stores. It gets rid of mucus build up in your sinus area, so you can breathe again. Breathing can be difficult, so you can definitely count on the Netty pot to take out all that gross stuff stuck in there.
- Rub some Vicks on you chest. It has a main ingredient in there called Eucalyptus, an oil that has wonderful healing qualities to shorten your cold. The vapors you inhale are terrific for sinus and chest area to help you recover in no time. It’s excellent for both children and adults.
- Have some chicken soup. Mom was right when she made you eat some chicken soup. Homemade or not, chicken soup is a fantastic therapy to promote wellness while you have a cold. There’s all sorts of vegetables and protein to aide your ailing self back to normal and not to mention the broth, which is high in minerals and vitamins. In addition, the soup helps to alleviate respiratory build-up.
- Have plenty of fluids. Water, juices and hot teas can help flush out bacteria and get you well faster.
- Have lots of rest. Sleep can make your immune system stronger after a short nap. Avoid going to sleep late because it will take a toll on your body, so lights out at 10 pm.
- Make a homemade cough syrup. Take about 1 tablespoon honey, 2-3 drops of peppermint and 1 cap full (1 Tablespoon of whiskey). Mix and drink. This is a powerful and soothing cough remedy that will really open up your throat and chest passage. It tastes really minty and it works every time for me when I have a cold.
- Lastly, take some zinc. A 1996 study found that zinc lozenges reduced the duration of the common cold from 7.6 days to 4.4 days. This supplement supposed to boost your immune system and shorten the duration of your cold.
I hope this works out for all of you. Get well and be well.